Federal Reimbursement Unit
PI: Melony A. Price Rhodes, 703.324.7309
The VTIPG Federal Reimbursement Unit has ongoing responsibilities to facilitate a collection of centralized processes to support the Fairfax County Department of Family Services (DFS). This includes the following:
- secure child support from non-custodial parents on behalf of children in foster care.
- to access federal funds on behalf of the children in foster care
- to pursue Medicaid funding for all Children’s Services Act (CSA) funded youth placed out of their homes
- to ensure compliance with CSA requirements to secure state matching funds
- to assess Parental Contributions
- do CSA case file reviews, CANS reports, distribution of reports, perform related training and other related CSA duties.
The FRU reviews records of children in foster care placement with the County and supports the process for reimbursements for those children. The reimbursement of local expenditures via federal funds reduces the local costs of providing services to children in foster care (expended through the CSA).
- Continue to refine the process so that, where possible, fewer County tax dollars will be spent to support children who are in foster care placement and children in receipt of CSA pool funds and more will be reimbursed from the Federal Government and parent(s) of the children
- Access funds for reimbursement, based upon each child’s eligibility,
- include Title II and XVI—Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Benefits, Survivors’ Benefits (SSA)
- Title XIX – Medicaid benefits
- Title IV-D – Child Support
- CSA Parental Contributions
- Contractor will recover the maximum allowable amount of federal/state reimbursements.
Why Access These Resources?
Fewer County tax dollars will be spent to support children who are in foster care placement and children in receipt of CSA pool funds and more will be reimbursed from the Federal Government and parent(s) of the children
Who Are Our Stakeholders?
Fairfax County Department of Family Services, Child Protective Services and Foster Care and Adoptions Program.